Church Road

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Church Road

Post  Tony on Tue May 20, 2008 6:20 am

Church Road was an interesting place in the 50's and 60's you know. It had a variety of businesses in it including a rag shop where they bought rags and bottles to be recycled (very ahead of it's time!), a shop that sold pink and blue paraffin, the bootmenders, Spencers the butchers, two greengrocers (one called Browns and the other called Lodges)...a grocers called Gregorys and of course the old Advance Laundry. I actually worked for 9 months in 1965 for them as a van boy and I used to go out with a driver collecting peoples washing and cleaning door to door...we'd deliver it completed a few days later....I have so many happy memories of that job...people were decent and friendly..I spent the whole day chatting and laughing it seemed.
Why can't life be like that now?
Rolling Eyes

Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Church Road

Post  leslie c, clark on Wed May 21, 2008 1:49 am

Tony , Right opposite the Advance wash a florist called Heggetys ( not sure on the spelling now) and when the Mum got to old that shop was passed on to her daughter Pat. she also sold flowers outside the City of London Cemetary, and just down from the advance was a sweetshop where we use to get our one penny dips and sherbets etc, then off to school at Cornwell Sec Modern, Ahh such sweet memories

leslie c, clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Church Road

Post  Tony on Thu May 22, 2008 2:00 pm

leslie c, clark wrote:Tony , Right opposite the Advance wash a florist called Heggetys ( not sure on the spelling now) and when the Mum got to old that shop was passed on to her daughter Pat. she also sold flowers outside the City of London Cemetary, and just down from the advance was a sweetshop where we use to get our one penny dips and sherbets etc, then off to school at Cornwell Sec Modern, Ahh such sweet memories

I remember the flower shop well my friend. My mum used it all the time.
Smile

Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Church Road

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top