Pics of 3 Manor Park pubs

Post  Tony on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pics of 3 Manor Park pubs

Post  Irene on Sun May 04, 2008 10:28 am

Tony,

Where was the Blakesley Arms? It is very familiar but I just can't place it.

The other two I remember very well, my best friend lived down the road at the side of the William, in fact, so that I could get married at St Micheals in Road I had to use her address in Greenhill Grove.

All the best

Irene

Irene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Sun May 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Irene wrote:Tony,

The other two I remember very well, my best friend lived down the road at the side of the William, in fact, so that I could get married at St Micheals in Road I had to use her address in Greenhill Grove.

All the best

Irene
It was right next door to Manor Park Station Irene. Smile
I was a choir boy at St Michaels in the early 60's!
Greenhill Grove as I remember it has long gone....I used to get my short back and sides at the barbers there.
I also recall the shop on the corner known as 'The Old Curiosity Shop' and the scrap yard halfway down the Grove itself.

Last edited by Tony on Sun May 04, 2008 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Irene on Sun May 04, 2008 3:32 pm

Tony wrote:

All the best

Irene
Greenhill Grove as I remember it has long gone....I used to get my short bck and sides at the barbers there.
I also recall the shop on the corner known as 'The Old Curiosity Shop' and the scrap yard halfway down the Grove itself.

Tony I remember now as I started at the Co-operative Sorting Office in Whitta Road in 1958.

Were you still a choir boy there in 66 as I have a photograph taken coming out of the church with the choir boys forming a guard of honour.

Irene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Sun May 04, 2008 4:36 pm

Irene wrote:
Tony wrote:

All the best

Irene
Greenhill Grove as I remember it has long gone....I used to get my short bck and sides at the barbers there.

Tony I remember now as I started at the Co-operative Sorting Office in Whitta Road in 1958.

Were you still a choir boy there in 66 as I have a photograph taken coming out of the church with the choir boys forming a guard of honour.

I left in 63
Rolling Eyes

Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Thu May 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Here's an update of what's happened to Manor Park's pubs:

E12 Avenue Hotel: 90 Church Road. (B2/1). Bass. No longer a pub (1992).

E12 BLAKESLEY ARMS: 53 Station Road. (A1/2). Bass. Serves 6X and Bass 2005. Next to Manor Park BR Station. Darts in public bar, shove halfpenny in the saloon. Snacks lunchtime. Open all permitted hours. 2002 refubished into a one bar pub, Bass, Worthington Best Bitter.

E12 Burnell Arms: 241 High Street North. (A2/3). Bass. No real ales. Closed and boarded up 2002. May be turned into flats (2003).

E12 Earl of Essex: 616 Romford Road. (A2/4). Courage. Reported keg 2004. Large street corner pub popular with local Irish community. Darts and pool. Open all permitted hours. Shows videos of hurling and gaelic football on Mondays and Tuesdays.

E12 GOLDEN FLEECE: 166 Capel Road. (A1/5). (1998) Scottish & New owned. Changed hands to Spirit Group and serving selection of beers. Recently (2005) has served Young's range, Adnams Best and Broadside, Pride, Directors, IPA, Thwaites Bomber and Thoroughbred, also Brakespeares. Changing beers around regularly. Displayed hours are Mon Thurs 11am-midnight Fri Sat 11am-1am Sun noon midnight.

E12 Ruskin Arms: 386 High Street North. (A2/6). Bass. No real ales.

E12 Star: 30 Snowshill Road. (A2/7). Belhaven.Converted to residential use 2002.

E12 Three Rabbits - Pharoahs Bar/Backstage: 833 Romford Road. (B1/Cool. Bass. No real ales.Now a Labbatt's free house. Renamed part Pharoahs Bar and Backstage. Seems to have been acquired by Toynbee Housing in 2002. Now (2006) a chemists.

E12 Victoria Cross: Jack Cornwell Street. (B1/9). Ind Coope. No real ales.

E12 William the Conqueror: 628/630 Romford Road. (A1/10). G Met Watneys. No real ales. In 2002 was refubished into a one bar pub.

Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top