What a lovely area E.12 used to be...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Manor Park Memories

Post  Irene on Sat May 10, 2008 8:47 am

How wonderful to see the photo's of Romford Road. I do remember Woolworths very well, going there to buy present for my mum on her birthday or Christmas.

Unfortunately when we moved to East Ham in 1954 all our photograph's were lost and my father had taken a lot with his old box Brownie.

Irene

Irene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What a lovely area E12 used to be

Post  Mick Coe on Mon May 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi Tony

Thanks for putting my pictures on. We probably visited Manor Park no more than twice a year so I am less surprised that you have no memory of Mum and myself, than I am at how much I remember of the place!

I was pleased to see the photo that included Woolworths, as I can remember there being a branch in Manor Park, but not where it was located. I think it was there that Nan bought me a plastic submarine that went up and down in the water when you filled it with bicarbonate of soda or some such household commodity. It fired a torpedo from a spring mechanism, which was fine out of the water, but of course the resistance of the water made it quite pathetic!

Previously you mentioned that you attended Salisbury Road and Sandringham Road schools. My Mum, who was born in 1915, also attended those schools although Sandringham was a Central School in those days. She used to talk about going on the tram to Katherine Road. I have some recent photos of the school somewhere which I can let you have if you want to see them.

Mick

Mick Coe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sweet,sweet memories of Manor Park

Post  leslie c, clark on Sat May 17, 2008 6:02 am

I to lived in Kensington Ave the bottom end or the Posh Part in 1948 as they called it then,the Nashes, Fardons ,Elliots the Fields, tuplins, all lived up the top end , The Lenos Shepards, Lloyds, Whittintons The Clarks, In the so called posh end , no difference though. Killwicks was the furniture store on the corner, Clem Ring the greengrocer, Chans the famous Chineese resturuant, the second-hand/antique shop on the other corner, opposite the off-sales on the road going down to the park, Kensington Youth Club, oh such happy memories in there, The Burnell Arms where I had my first drink(under age) and had so many great times, Vic Powell( lord Powell) as he is known as now, johny Vaughan, Listining to the Mission Belles on a Friday night, then down to the Rustin Arms then for a shuffle around the dance floor in the Constitutal club up stairs opposite the Cinema/ Bingo hall, Alas dear friends where and what happened to the LOvely Manor Park we all knew and loved?

leslie c, clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What a lovely area E.12 used to be...

Post  Tony on Tue May 20, 2008 6:03 am

leslie c, clark wrote:I to lived in Kensington Ave the bottom end or the Posh Part in 1948 as they called it then,the Nashes, Fardons ,Elliots the Fields, tuplins, all lived up the top end , The Lenos Shepards, Lloyds, Whittintons The Clarks, In the so called posh end , no difference though. Killwicks was the furniture store on the corner, Clem Ring the greengrocer, Chans the famous Chineese resturuant, the second-hand/antique shop on the other corner, opposite the off-sales on the road going down to the park, Kensington Youth Club, oh such happy memories in there, The Burnell Arms where I had my first drink(under age) and had so many great times, Vic Powell( lord Powell) as he is known as now, johny Vaughan, Listining to the Mission Belles on a Friday night, then down to the Rustin Arms then for a shuffle around the dance floor in the Constitutal club up stairs opposite the Cinema/ Bingo hall, Alas dear friends where and what happened to the LOvely Manor Park we all knew and loved?

It has vanished sadly Leslie.
Thankfully, it remains alive in our memories.
Great reading your post....brought back some stuff I'd forgotten.
I used to go in the Burnell Arms around 1966/7...I think it's now borded up.
Shocked

Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Tue May 20, 2008 6:11 am

Mick Coe wrote:Hi Tony

Thanks for putting my pictures on. We probably visited Manor Park no more than twice a year so I am less surprised that you have no memory of Mum and myself, than I am at how much I remember of the place!

I was pleased to see the photo that included Woolworths, as I can remember there being a branch in Manor Park, but not where it was located. I think it was there that Nan bought me a plastic submarine that went up and down in the water when you filled it with bicarbonate of soda or some such household commodity. It fired a torpedo from a spring mechanism, which was fine out of the water, but of course the resistance of the water made it quite pathetic!

Previously you mentioned that you attended Salisbury Road and Sandringham Road schools. My Mum, who was born in 1915, also attended those schools although Sandringham was a Central School in those days. She used to talk about going on the tram to Katherine Road. I have some recent photos of the school somewhere which I can let you have if you want to see them.

Mick
I remember those submarines in Woolworths Mick....I also used to buy cap-bangers in there...remember them?....Plastic rockets that you put a cap off a roll into then threw in the air...a great bang when they landed. I recall some poor sod who'd been on night work screaming at us from his window in Second Avenue one morning because we'd woken him with them!
I would like the pics of my old schools Mick....email them again and I'll put them on here.

Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Romford Road

Post  Rita on Wed May 21, 2008 1:59 pm

I lived in Romford Road from 1950 to 1955 and remember a lot of the roads you have mentioned i also remember the Three rabbits Pub i went to school in Halley Road East Ham till the school moved to a new building in Plashet Grove. there was a church on the corner of sixth avenue i have many happy memories of Manor Park
Rita

Rita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Irene on Thu May 22, 2008 11:17 am

Hi Rita,

The church on the corner of Sixth Avenue was a Methodist, I used to go there to the Girls Life Brigade, and sat thorough very boring services once a month when we had to attend Church Parade, and after march round the local streets.

I also attended Plashet Secondary School from the May 55 until I left in 1958 and started work at the Co-op sorting office in Whitta Road, Manor Park.

I also remember going home from primary school (Fourth Avenue) and rushing into the library (on the corner of Rabbits Road opposite the pub), to see if they had any Enid Blyton Books on the shelves that I hadn't read, and the joy when I found one.

Irene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

sixth avenue

Post  Rita on Thu May 22, 2008 11:28 am

Hi Irene l left Plashet Grove school jan 1955 as we moved to Hemel Hempstead Hertfordshire i used to go to sunday school at the methodist church only because my friend lived in sixth ave and her parents made her go so i went with her she was called June Greaney and had sister Maureen the family emigrated to Australia and we lost contact.
have you ever heard about the Three Rabbits pub being bombed in the blitzalso would you have any idea whereabouts 742 Romford Road was
Rita Question

Rita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Thu May 22, 2008 2:30 pm

Rita wrote:Hi Irene l left Plashet Grove school jan 1955 as we moved to Hemel Hempstead Hertfordshire i used to go to sunday school at the methodist church only because my friend lived in sixth ave and her parents made her go so i went with her she was called June Greaney and had sister Maureen the family emigrated to Australia and we lost contact.
have you ever heard about the Three Rabbits pub being bombed in the blitzalso would you have any idea whereabouts 742 Romford Road was
Rita Question

My dad said a big bomb hit the row of shops with flats above them exactly opposite The Three Rabbits during the war and the blast broke every window of the pub.
He said a lot of people died in that incident.
It has obviously been rebuilt since.
742 Romford Road is right opposite the Rabbits, next door to H M James, the bathroom shop.

Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Three Rabbits Pub

Post  Rita on Fri May 23, 2008 7:16 am

Thank you for information on the bomb blasts i lived at 795 Romford Road in the early 1950's my parents and myself and my brother lived in the flat above Matthews the butchers
Rita

Rita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

the shops and burnell arms

Post  christine on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:56 pm

hi me and my sister are making a PICTORAL of where we lived & worked down the years we lived in byron ave on till 1970
my sister worked part time in a laundry/bagwash in hight st .run by we think was ron swan ??
i worked in the burnell for 2/3 years from 1966 to 1969 we moved to portsmouth in 1970 we would love to know if the shop is still there ?? we understand the pub is closed down now.
if anyone can help us out wit old photos of shop-pub-sister would love to know where ron swan is now ??
and if any can rember me i was a barmade in burnell

christine

christine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sixth Ave

Post  peterduhig on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:15 pm

I lived at 117 Sixth Ave for 20 Years. The church on the corner you speak of became the 'Little Eye Club' a youth club.
We used to frequent the Off Licence on the corner of Sixth Ave & Avenue Rd (?).

peterduhig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

3 Rabbits

Post  peterduhig on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:20 pm

I always remember the shops opposite the Three Rabbits as being fairly new buildings, so I guess that ties in with the bombing. Late 60's/early 70's I remember going in the Rabbits drinking & Brian Poole (of the Tremeloes fame) being in there. His Dad ran the butchers shop diagonally opposite the Rabbits....

peterduhig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harry47 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:19 am

Mick Coe wrote:I have never lived in Manor Park, but my mother lived there until she married and her mother lived there until the early 1960's. Their home was at 107 Second Avenue and I used to visit my Nan as a child and later by myself.
What prompted me to sign up to this site was the reference to Second Avenue by a boy/man 3 years younger than myself. When I was a young teenager I was persuaded to give up my toy soldiers, Dinky toys etc to the son of a family, in Second Avenue, that my Nan had befriended. The boy in question would probably have been about three years younger than me. Wouldn't that be a coincidence if that boy was you!
I cannot wait to hear if this tale strikes a chord.
Best wishes
Mick

Hi, me and my family used to live at 47 Second Avenue from 1960 - 1997. My grandfather first moved to manor park in the 60's and my father grew up on that road. I still have fond memories of my time growing up there (1979 onwards). I am very much keen to speak to anyone that still lives there or used to live there. So much has changed in manor park that it would be so nice to speak to past residents of this road and possibly rekindle old friendships.

Harry47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harry47 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:57 am

Tony wrote:

No it wasn' t you! The lad in question lived on the odd number side about half way between 107 and the Romford Road. I think the Kosher butcher was still on that corner in those days.

If you were opposite Nan then you would have been near the house of old Mrs Rose and her son. He was a keen stamp collector and Nan persuaded him to let me have some stamps each time I visited. She could be quite persuasive my Nan! Her name was Alice Carpenter, generally known as Lally. When her second husband, Jack, died, the landlord offered to sell her the house but she had no money. She was persuaded to give up the first floor and a couple called Joan and Norman Wales purchased the house and occupied the first floor. When Nan moved out to live with us, Joan and Norman took over the whole house. You may remember that they had a bubble car. Norman died and Joan was still at the house until about a year ago.

At 109 was a family whose members I am a bit confused about. When I was little there was a very old man there, who I used to think looked like a pirate. He had been a sailor and his name was Bill Hussey. His daughter, Flo, was married to a man whose surname was Holland. The fourth member of the household was Katie, an unmarried lady who I think was Flo's sister. I think she may have had "learning difficulties" and she possibly worked at Clarnico's? My earliest memory of them is sitting in their back parlour with gas lighting only.

I hope that as a non-resident I am allowed to continue on this site as I have lots questions to ask and bits of memories to share if you want them.

Mick......as soon as I read the name 'Lally' I remembered her!....I phoned my 78 year old mother tonight and she remembered her very well too. They used to stop and talk all the time she said. My Mum also remembered Jack although I can't......as for Joan and Norman, I remember them very well. When his bubble car appeared parked almost dead opposite us in the early 60's I was fascinated by it and he often came out when I was looking at it but he never offered me a ride in it which was what I wanted.  Crying or Very sad
Amazing to think that Joan was still there a year ago...she would have to be over 80 now I'd say.
My Mum also knew Bill Hussey....she said my late father used to get on well with him and she also agreed he looked like a pirate!...I'm afraid my memory won't throw him up for me though.....Likewise, my old Mum remembered Katie. She was really enjoying hearing these old names and putting faces to them tonight.
I am amazed at your recollection of so any names and details Mick.
Did you ever mix with any of the Second Avenue kids?.....do any of these names ring a bell with you?......The twins, Steve and Ian Caruth....Trevor and Mick Burns?.....Leslie Day?....John Bright, Norman Weedon?....They all lived within 50 yards of 107 Second Avenue. What about John Williams, Keith Mason?....Our family surname is Quinlan....know of us?
By the way, talking of the Halal butchers....remember the shoe repairers at the Church Road end?...Fred Reynolds. Believe it or not he was still there up until 1995 by which time he was 80!!

Hi,

I remember the twins that had motorbikes and a Reliant Robin. I am not too sure if they still live there or like the most of us, moved on! Here's a couple of Second Avenue residents that I remembered during the 70/80's. The twins at 63 Second Ave, Steve at 53 Second Ave (think he joined the army), Jean with her two daughters at 49 Second Ave (think she lives in chadwell heath now) and the african family at 51 Second Ave (a man used to sit on his front wall smoking). Family at 42 Second Ave (they had 3 sons and drove a gold granada 2.8i ghia x). Ian at 12 Second Ave (he had the house with the blue door and his mother rode a bike with the basket infront. I would be grateful if anybody could shed some light on them. Harry.

Harry47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harry47 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:44 am

Judy Williams wrote:Thanks for the memories of the shops Tony - I'd forgotten some of them. I never knew that the record shop was owned by Steve Marriott. I think that shop became the Elvis memorabilia shop later on. I do remember the fish and chip chop - 'Colafrancescos'. The Dad (owner) who was always in the shop, died some years back and his wife, daughter and son- in-law carried on the business for many years, until they sold it a few years ago. They still make good fish and chips though, we go there when we visit Mum.

My father and I used to go there (Colafrancescos) every fridays for fish and chips in the 80's. They certaintly made the best fish and chips around Manor Park. I guess I was not surprised that the business had finally been sold on. I recently had the pleasure of revisting Colafrancescos. I ordered my usual and to my surprise, the fish and chips tasted the same as it did when I was 8 years old. It brought back many memories and I thanked the current owners for keeping the quality the same as Colafrancescos did.

Harry47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harry47 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:56 am

Tony wrote:

Very little time this evening but will come back again shortly.

Apart from when I was a baby we only visited for a day, never overnight, so I never knew the kids.

The butcher was Kosher, not Halal. Was the name Morris?

When did your Mum move into 108? I have a family connection with 107 going back to 1911. If your Mum had memories of my family from before the war, that would be really interesting/useful for my family history research.

Best wishes - will be back in next few days.

Mick

Oh dear...I did say Halal instead of Kosher...that was because it became a Halal in the late 70's/early 80's...My brain is going  Sad  ....I do remember it well from the 50's and 60's though, I can see the chap that ran it in my mind's eye quite clearly but I can't get the name of it out from the back of my mind.
I recall that two doors from him was a weird junk shop called 'Levys' where a scruffy old man sat amongst what seemed to me, a bundle of rags!...God knows what that was all about!
On the other corner of Second Avenue was a haberdashery shop of sorts and next to that the interesting 'Ben Salmon Radio shop. The facade was still the original Victorian one right up until the mid 80's when it finally closed after a long time in business. Next to him was Kimberleys,  the toy and bike shop.
My Mum had me in 1949 when she was just 19 herself and we didn't move to Second Avenue until the end of that year.
Look forward to hearing from you again.

I remember the Junk Shop called Levys near Second Avenue. That scruffy old man was always there and I remember old shoes for sale in front of his shop. From memory, that old man died in the 80's and I remember playing on the corner of Second Avenue when they found him dead. I remember Ben Salmon Radio Shop too. Many times I found myself looking at his window display of speakers, stack systems and turntables. I wonder what happened to him?? Finally, Kimberleys where I bought my first bike. That was a popular store. Does anybody know what happened to them when they left Manor Park?

Harry47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fourth Avenue etc

Post  orontes44eamca@bigpond.co on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:14 am

Hi , Hope this is being replied to in the right area.  I lived in Fourth Avenue almost from my birth in 1944 until 8th January 1957 when we started our journey to Australia.

We kids used to go into the bombed out area on the corner of Fourth Avenue opposite the three Rabbits pub and throw snowballs at one another.  On a visit home in 1989 I noted this area had been filled up and there was a Pram shop on the corner.  The Pub was then Charringtons or something like that.  My mum is buried in the City of London Cemetery walking distance from where I lived.  We were two doors from what was the Fish and Chip shop.  Next to that was Bobby Goodies parents shop, a Milk Bar as we call them over here.

I went to the Fourth Avenue School and remember the Infant section.  We also used to have meals at schools.  Bangers and Mash as I recall.  Went to the Secondary Modern School but it was the old one, the new school was almost complete by the time we left for Australia.

The Methodist Church on the corner of Sixth Avenue, I also was in the Girl Life Brigade.  Navy Blue uniforms with a red cord in the Berets I think it was and Red laces in our plimsoles (Sand Shoes here).  Not far from there along Romford Road, we used to buy a pennyworth of stale cakes, they were just broken really.  Sometimes were given split creams in the bag.

I have a photograph of a class of 35 with a teacher.  It was my brothers class.  he was Frederick Place born 1942 since deceased in 2007.  He won a scholarship to Oundle School Peterborough when he was 11years old.

Remembered going to the Wanstead Flats to paddle.  Unfortunately my mum died when I was 9 and we kids went into Aldersbrooke Childrens Homes off and on for a few years. Some of the names I remember.  Marion Friend (I was fostered at her parents home for 6 months), Patricia Thornby, she lived opposite the Friends, Keith Hayward who lived opposite us in Fourth Avenue. Mrs Whittler who lived next door, no children.  Had a lovely Tom Cat, named Tommy.Bobby Goody or Goodie whom I played with a lot..

There was an after school altercation once with a girl named Christine Harvey.  She was a pretty blonde girl whose mother made her bring e a bag of sweets afterwards.  I had accidentally hit her somehow when flipping my ruler back, completely unintended. She arranged one of those after school thingys nothing serious and kids being kids.  I was quite timid.  All was completely forgiven same day.  My name was Ann Place then. I remember little girls used to put on little concerts for us in the door ways of the school making them little stages. they did tap dancing and ballet and we quite enjoyed them.

That is all for now.

Funny how you like to return to where your beginnings were.  I doubt anyone I knew still lives there.
Edie

orontes44eamca@bigpond.co

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Joan Wales and Second Avenue

Post  Dominic101 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:39 am

I have recently moved in to 102 Second Avenue, which was formerly owned by Kit Skulthorpe, who sadly passed away in late 2013 I believe. Joan Wales, who is mentioned quite a lot on this board, used to care for Kit, and we have had her round for tea a couple of times as well as going round to hers. She is full of stories of Manor Park as it was - the dances, the pubs, the cinemas. Whenever I talk to Joan I am left with a great feeling of sadness for what has been lost, for even though I like the area (it is still very friendly, the parks are great, great south Indian food), it is clearly a shadow of its former self. Every time I walk past Boots I think of the pictures I have seen of The Three Rabbits, with all the life it contained, and can't help but feel the area has died a little. It is lovely to read all your memories of this place as well.

Dominic101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheila Burry on Mon May 04, 2015 5:37 am

I had my wedding reception in the Little Eye Club and my 21st birthday party in Fourth Avenue school

Sheila Burry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fourth Avenue

Post  marionmaclennan@talktalk. on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:13 am

I remember Edie or Ann Place as she was. We did indeed play together. It was lovely to hear from her.

I was Marion Friend.

marionmaclennan@talktalk.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top